Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Teaser Tuesday July 17, 2012

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following: 


  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Don't Ever Get OldThe book I am sharing today is Don't Ever Get Old by Daniel Friedman.  This is a mystery with a unusual hero.  Buck Schatz is 89.  He is a retired Memphis detective who suddenly has a mystery dumped in his lap.  I know there are mystery books that have older women as the main character but this is the first on I have seen with an older man.  This is Friedman's first book and it is a very good one.  There were so many good quotes in Don't Ever Get Old that I could have book marked every other page.  There were also some good laughs and a very good mystery.  I strongly recommend Don't Ever Get Old.

 That said here are my teasers.  I could not stop with one.

These two are from Buck or about Buck. 

"Holy shit, man, you're a legend.  I can't believe you're still alive."  I rolled my eyes.  "Most days neither can I."

"What Eisenhower told me was, when you have nothing else to hang onto, you hang onto your gun."

 These are from Buck and his wife: 


"You can't run off to Europe or South America or Egypt chasing after a phantom.  How are we going to keep track of your medications?"

"I'm putting my foot down on this."  She smiled, and her eyes were filled with genuine pity.   She knew I would never win.

"I may have made a few wrong decisions in my life, but I damn sure married the right woman." 

From Goodreads:

When Buck Schatz, senior citizen and retired Memphis cop, learns that an old adversary may have escaped Germany with a fortune in stolen gold, Buck decides to hunt down the fugitive and claim the loot. But a lot of people want a piece of the stolen treasure, and Buck’s investigation quickly attracts unfriendly attention from a very motley (and murderous) crew in Daniel Friedman's Don't Ever Get Old




3 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This one sounds very enticing. I do like reading about older characters these days...they are rare. Enjoy!

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Bev Hankins said...

I love that first one from Buck's wife!

Here's my Tuesday Teaser.

Karen and Gerard said...

Great teasers! Sounds like a funny book and I love the title.

Here's a link to our 3 along with a giveaway: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/07/tuesday-teasers-affair-giveaway-i-hunt.html